As of today, I have 10 days left in Chicago, so it was excited to have the opportunity to play the tourist this week with my coworkers. Every year we take a field trip during the summer. My first year we saw the new baby beluga at the Shedd Aquarium; last year, we went to the Taste of Chicago; this year, we decided to take the Chicago Architecture Foundation's river tour.
We went out on the water at noon on Tuesday, and despite the apocalyptic storm the night before (as in over 800 lightening strikes a minute and its peak and there were tornado sirens!), we had beautiful weather. It was almost too sunny and a lot of my pictures were overexposed, but I did like how some of them turned out.
And true to the docent's promise, I did learn some really neat stuff about the city and its architecture. It was definitely worth the trip.
I'll definitely miss Chicago when we go, but I can take comfort in the fact that I have done and seen a lot of the city. From living in Hyde Park to checking out the museums, I've been a pretty good live-in tourist for the past 2.25 years.
On an entirely different note, I've received The Smile Award courtesy of Stina's Stuff. It's my first blog award so I'm super excited!
Characteristics for the Smile Award are as follows:
- Must display a cheerful attitude. (not necessarily at all times–we are all human)
- Must love one another
- Must make mistakes
- Must learn from others
- Must be a positive contributor to blog world
- Must love life
- Must love kids
These are the rules:
- The recipient must link back to the award’s creator (http://www.thebabblingsofmere.blogspot.com/)
- You must post these rules if you receive the award.
- You must chose 5 people to receive the award after receiving it yourself
- You must fit the characteristics of the recipient of the award, as posted by Mere.
- You must post the characteristics of a recipient.
- You must create a post sharing your win with others.
- You must thank your giver.
I'd like to give the award to the following folks:
- Bitter Betty Blogs: mother, crafter, vintage sewing diva extraordinare, and all-around awesome lady.
- Blue Yonder : I'm inspired by the adventures she shares with her boys and she is only encouraging my desire to raise a bunch of chickens.
- Non-Profit Girl, a friend from college, who takes a look at Portland, OR and the non-profit world.
- Cult of Domesticity: My blog-land domestic twin, who is expecting her first child
- The Fabled Needle, someone who takes action to follow her dreams and has a wicked awesome sense of style.